Friday 27 March 2015

A Ukrainian scam

Letter from Ukraine



As I was retiring last night I opened to find the following, ostensibly from a friend and fellow blogger.

I did reply to the email, suggesting that my friend contact me by Skype


Date: 26 March 2015 2:20:01 am NZDT
Subject: Please reply ASAP


Sorry to disturb with this mail. I had to make an impromptu trip to Ukraine and right now, I'm in a difficult situation here in Ukraine and urgently need your help. Can you lend me 2000 euros, I'll make refunds to you as soon as I get back this week and explain the situation better to you. I know this may not be a good time to ask for such favor but I just thought I could turn to you for help. 

I will appreciate anything you can afford to lend me right now. I would be glad if you could keep this between us.

 Thanks
xxx
.....

I was relieved to find that my friend is safe in New Zealand and not in the Ukraine, having money extorted. The story was that they had had their hotmail email account hacked.

A small warning.


I have followed up with another response to the email with a communication in suitably juicy Russian

1 comment:

  1. Extortion should be punished, really. I learn russian for skype at http://preply.com/en/russian-by-skype and it seems like everywhere there are people like those.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.